22 Jul 2014

Blogging as Art



I've been pretty frustrated with writing and blogging lately. Recently, the inspiration to write has been difficult to come by, and sometimes putting my thoughts into words on paper seems extremely difficult. But in the last couple of days I wanted to write creatively again, so I told me to stop feeling sorry for myself and just write. Most days I need to fight the feeling to just lie in bed and go on Netflix, which gets worse the longer I'm on Netflix, which makes studying and writing more difficult than before. But I realized that sometimes I just need to do it, regardless of how crappy my writing turns out to be; otherwise, I might as well stop calling myself a writer and give up this blog.

Which I have no intention of doing, I love this blog too much.

The problem with my blog (and all blogs in general) is that its only one person that's writing everything, and if you're not capable of posting a certain number of times, then the blog just dies quietly. This death does not really mean you stop writing, although that does happen occasionally, but more so that less readers are interested in your writing. And to every who says that they don't care about the number of readers that they have, that's total bullish*t. Everyone wants readers. We may differ in the number of readers that we want: maybe a few trusted friends, maybe even people who you've never met before. But the fact remains: we still want people to see our work. Otherwise, maintaining a blog would be pointless. A blog is a website that we share with the world, which inherently means that you want to share it with people. Even if its one or two other people. I'm feeling like I'm sort of asking one question that philosophers have been pondering throughout millennia: What's the point of doing things if you don't have a goal?

Because a blog (and writing as a whole) is an activity that requires readers and other such participants, then maybe some standards need to placed. Why do things if you're only going to give 50%? Might as well give a hundred. This applies to blogging, and to life in general.

Which brings me to the point of this post: that if you give enough effort, blogging can be an art form, in the same way as other types of writing are considered art forms. Some people seem to view blogs as just hobbies, which is alright, but I have this feeling that many bloggers tend to limit their blogs as only a way to create another thing, rather than the blog itself. I understand this concept, as one of the main reasons why I started this blog was to practice my writing skills. But that doesn't mean that we should treat our blogs in any way less than we would treat a novel, or a poem. Some of the blogs that I've found in my years of blogging have connected to me on a very personal level. What makes this less of a connection because this connection was made in a blog and not through a book? When your aim is to connect with others as a human, where does the art truly begin?

It's really interesting to see how similar the intentions of all artists can be. And the main goal of artists, no matter from which walk of life they come from, is to create things.

So here's my advice for all the other bloggers. I hope that bloggers start thinking of blogging as something that is just as capable of being admired as all the other forms of art that can be found out there. We are all artists here, even if some of us might reject that title. Only you can judge whether or not its worthy for the world to see.

25 comments:

  1. A challenging post.
    It is the connections I find so valuable here in the blogosphere. People I have never met, living lives which are very different to my own. And sometimes, living lives which are similar to mine. Magic.
    I laugh with bloggers, I cry with bloggers. Sometimes I laugh until I cry. I am educated and given beauty. What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Plus blogs aren't "the thing" anymore besides. Kind of sad. I've met so many wonderful people blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, all bloggers want readers. And it's also true that it can be an art form. I agree with Elephant's Child that I joined the blogging world to make connections and gain encouragement from other writers. I even got my publishing contract because of my blogging connections. I think it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought-provoking. I maintain two blogs which I started during college - one for poetry and the other for general ranting. But lately, despite feeling the creative prick to put some carefully chosen words on paper (or screen, for that matter), it just just translate into reality. And when I do push myself to block everything else out and just right, I am forever skeptical if what I have written is good enough to be read by others, more so for the general ranting blog. But I persist. And I am happy about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gina,

    Well said and thoughtfully stated. I would add, however, that it's all about your own pace, a pace that feels comfortable. No expectations and no anticipations, just a laid back, mixed emotion situation.

    Interaction, if anything, has become a vital part of the blogging community. A sharing caring diversity. I have seen I have had had the privilege of seeing blogger's positive input help remove anti-homeless spikes that were placed outside certain locations in London.

    Plenty to inspire us all, and yes, at our comfortable pace. I would further add I not that bothered by the number of readers who grace my site. I'm very happy being discreetly in the background. Doing things behind the scenes with little fanfare.

    Yes, my kind friend, blogging is an art form, in all the various genres. When I can't be bothered to post, a famous Jack Russell dog takes over. It's all good.

    In kindness,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right Gina. I have been taking a blogging break this month, but still posting occasionally just to prove I am still here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gina -- if you are going to put a link into the comments of Poetry Jam, please make sure it relates to the prompt. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogging can be a great creative outlet. Art is in the eye of the artist, as well as the beholder, and those two can be worlds apart. As much as I love my netflix time, I totally understand how precious every moment is and always feel more alive when I spend it writing or creating something. Lately, I've been way more into sewing and costume creation than writing, but I'm still glad to have my blog as a venue to show off my other sides.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think people underestimate the value of a blog. They're all caught up in getting books published, but people connect with your words here, as well. The only difference is that you aren't being paid for them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The cat has blogging down, posts every day at my town

    ReplyDelete
  11. So true! The point is to connect and if we're not, then why are we doing it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Charming, Van Goth is one of my favorite artists!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love blogging. I have made many wonderful friends through this community. The support system here is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's okay to announce once in a while that you'll be posting less or be on a blogging break for so or so reason. I've seen many bloggers do that before and I always come back to their blog, no matter how long they've been gone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to think of a blog as just someplace to throw my thoughts, but I've come to appreciate that it is a legitimate piece of writing and I take it seriously now. I think the best blogs do that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely thoughts. I always view blogs in 3 categories: for information, as a personal log, or for entertainment. At least, that's the way the blogging world seems to be going, with that middle category shrinking every day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i appreciate your points!
    my blog has evolved with my writing. i started out looking for fellow-writers and advice and trying to give what little knowledge and opinions i had. those grew and continue to grow as do my blogger buddy relationships. now i'm helping my friends and they are helping me as we put our books out, and i still try to get advice or experience passed on at the same time... but, i do miss writing more quality posts. thanks for the commentary =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blogging really can be an art form - I agree, as it is an extension of one's creativity. And I think that means different things to different people, you know? I'm glad we have this medium to express ourselves and to meet others (like you!) out there too.

    Happy weekend!:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm nodding in agreement. I really like your advice, Gina. Thank you. I think of my blog as a creative outlet. And you're right; that makes it art.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think we not only want people to read but comment too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Gina .. just come over from Holly's blog - it's being creative isn't it and doing something that stirs others' imaginations and we definitely want readers who comment and obviously enjoy our content.

    In my 2nd last post (we had a big fire on the pier ... so that's my latest post) - I refer to the Making Colour exhibition at the National Gallery, but at the end I have links to Karen Jones Gowen's blog and Denise Covey's two posts on just this subject ...

    Hope you get a chance to check out their posts - they're relevant to your question here ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  22. I guess I can't really say I've considered blogging an art form. That's an interesting thought. I like the sense of community blogging provides. Writing is a lonely process, and it's nice to be able to connect with other writers this way.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If we didn't want readers, then we would just write in a diary/journal and not blog. Blogging is an art form in a way, and I love how we can find a different way to connect to readers.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agree that reaching out to people makes blogging so worthwhile. Being able to connect with people from all over the world helps bring the experience to life.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a visual artist and Van Gogh is one of my favorites. Thanks for featuring him. I judge myself for sometimes spending too much time blogging. I kick myself when I don't do it enough. It is a very complex. There is the blog writing, the work of getting others to visit the blog, recruiting members so you have built-in readers, reading the blogs of others...it goes on and on. Still it is satisfying. I find that blogging prepares me for my day of writing because I am a full time writer. Blogging is most definitely an art. I agree with you wholeheartedly on that point. (IWSG)

    ReplyDelete