08 October 2013

Being a Gutsy Person


Alright, so I'm not going to make myself sound good on this one. I'm a coward on most situations where it takes courage. Especially when I'm dealing with people that I like.

Ask me to go cliff diving. Or sky diving. Or pretty much anything that requires courage in the face of potential danger. I can do all that without a hitch. But when it comes to talking to people and you're looking for a coward, who's your person? That's right. Me.

Me: "Hey!"
Other Person (OP): "Hey!"
Me: "Would you, like, you know, like, want to hang out, like?" *makes wild hand gestures while blushing furiously*
OP: Yeah, that's cool!
Me:
OP:
Me: *faints*

So there you go. All of you can go along and say that I'm a coward in the face of meeting other people. Not only do I overuse the word "like", I blush uncontrollably. And I stutter. Which makes the whole situation even worse. It makes me look as if I have a speech impairment, or a mental problem. Which I don't, of course.

The thing is I don't have to even "like" you to stutter. Although if I think you're cute then it would probably help to make me blush harder. There's this common saying with people who know me well that I tend to turn puce (definition here) whenever I talk to someone I like. Normally, I would deny any such thing, but I would be a liar if I said it was completely untrue.

But yeah. There was this one situation where I wanted to see if this one college girl wanted to hang out. The way I stuttered wasn't even funny. It was just plain embarrassing. I felt like I was annoying her but I wanted to talk to her anyway.

I guess the main gist is to have guts to actually go ahead and say something. Although if you're like me, it's a scary thing. Mainly because I'm afraid that people will think I'm weird and not talk to me anymore. The fear is real guys. I guess the word is less fear and more paranoia. It's the curse of living in a time where everything can basically be solved on the computer.

So to all of you out there who have become so used to being on the computer: go out and talk to someone. I don't care if you talk to your neighbor's cat, just go out there. The real world won't hurt you if you try.

16 comments:

  1. Um, yeah, I'm more comfortable on the computer too. I still tend to be awkward in social situations, but I've learned to fake it when I have to. Fortunately I'm a good listener. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't find it easy to talk to new people either, in fact the Internet it makes it worse. We just have to keep trying and keep our close friends closer Gina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took your advice but the neighbours called the police and told me stop bothering their cat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lot of friends but only a few close ones.
    I tend to be loud...I scare people...My wife is the polar opposite she is quiet and shy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always tried to reach out to people, esp. new people when I was in high school. But I do stutter too sometimes when I'm trying to talk to someone new.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel more comfortable if I don't leave the house. You're young. You can take chances. I am old. I have suffered too much rejection.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always been shy and introverted - meeting new people is hard!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Strangely, I do better in face to face situations. It's commenting on blogs that terrify me. I'm always afraid the person on the other end will take what I say (or type) the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I really identify with this. Fortunately, I don't blush anymore. I think that's because I'm so anemic. But I am so shy and -- difficult to admit -- insecure... that I don't know why anyone would want to meet me. I'm like Groucho Marx who once said that he would never belong to any club that would have him for a member.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can relate to this entirely, Gina, so you're not alone! My palms get embarrassingly sweaty and I can't seem to control the level of eye contact I give people. I'm basically awkward on a stick, but I have noticed that it gets easier the more I'm put into these uncomfortable situations. It's brave of you to share! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's difficult. I too can relate to all you've expressed. You're in good company, Gina.

    xoRobyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can definitely relate. I'm so much more composed speaking to people online than offline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't beat up on yourself, Gina. The problem's more prevalent than most think. An entire cottage industry has sprung up to help industry get its young hires to communicate. On the computer, they're fine; offline, they freeze. Do you have a little theatre group in your area? Perhaps volunteering there would be helpful . . . and you'd meet new people, ones you don't have to ask if you can hang out with. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm right there with you. As I get older it does get easier. Well a little because you realize it don't matter what someone else thinks and half the time they say or talk about the exact same thing you were afraid to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can talk to people okay... but public presentations? Standing on a stage? Don't ever ask me to do that again! It's been a few years since the last time and I'm hoping to avoid it for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete